Saturday 13 April 2013

L is for Lucky

There is nothing I love more than a day wherein you have next to nothing to do. You can sail through the day and do the bare minimum of stuff to get you to the end of it. Today, for me, is one of those days.


My daughter stayed over with my sister last night and the good lady wife went out last night too with some friends. Rocco and I watched Tales from Earthsea which is a Studio Ghibli animated film from Japan. It's almost impenetrable from a narrative perspective, but Rocco and I have become big fans of the Studio Ghibli films as the more popular ones of them are breathtakingly beautiful to look at and have great stories. If you haven't seen any of them, I recommend Ponyo, My Neighbour Tortoro and Kiki's Delivery Service for starters. All the animation is hand drawn and the english overdubs have a vast array of Hollywood stars doing the voice overs. Anyway, I digress.

Because Rocco generally can look after himself of a morning, I was able to get up about eight am and have a leisurely breakfast. Then Rocco and I mooched off to the supermarket, the conversation  peppered with what kind of car Rocco would be getting when he is old enough. He has settled for a Ferrari. I look forward to him coming to realise how much they cost.

Right now, as I type this, I am sipping cream soda, listening to a film review podcast and Rocco is watching cartoons in the next room. Dianne (that's the good lady wife) is getting ready to take Rocco out for the afternoon leaving me absolutely on my own for about two hours before I go off to the gig that has been booked for my band tonight. These lazy days are very rare of late and I cannot express into words the sheer joy and contentment I feel on days like this. You may say simple things please simple minds. I'll say fine. Moments like this bring how very lucky I am to have a loving family, a roof over my head and a job into very sharp focus.

Once in a while you really should count your blessings. You'll be surprised.

Rocco's Random Number is 125 which tales you to Let's Get Out Of Here!. Which looks like quite a lot of fun.

Rock on,

W.

5 comments:

  1. Cream soda! Is it delicious?! The stuff here is no nearly as good as I remember it being as a kid.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean Andrea. It's still really fantastic but not as fantastic as it used to be served up with a dollop of ice cream on the top when I was a kid!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enter memories of the old Sarsparilla Bar in one of the Morgan Arcades. My memory of that place is at a time when I was that young I had to stand on the seat in order to reach the straw to drink from.

    Always recall it was like iced water that tasted like (comparing it to today's experiences) mouthwash.

    As for the Cream Soda - always best with a bottle of American Cream Soda and a dollop of vanilla ice cream.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lucky you! ;-) New follower here. I'm stopping by from the "A to Z" challenge and I look forward to visiting again.

    Sylvia
    http://www.writinginwonderland.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love lazy days...I try to devote at least half of every Sunday to the pursuit of nothing more than reading, playing on the computer and lazing around watching a movie with my son.

    Mmmmm...cream soda!

    ReplyDelete

Wotcher. Comments are welcome and make Wayne happy. Please post some. Spammers on the other hand, I hunt down, kill and eat.

Five Sentence Fiction - Bubbles

Here we are again with Five Sentence Fiction from Lillie McFerrin. The word du jour is Bubbles...