Saturday 20 April 2013

R is for Rewind

Everyone has regrets in their life, whether they be decisions not taken, lovers shunned or things uttered in the heat of the moment. What if I had taken that job, or should I have tried harder at that thing maybe? Should I have talked to that person in that bar one day when they caught my eye, fought harder for that thing....




Imagine if you will that one day, someone came up to you and gave you a very real chance to re-live your life  from any significant day of your choosing. With of course, the opportunity to keep your memories you have now. However there would be a catch, that once you say yes, there was no turning back. You start at that specific date with your older, slightly more sensible head on the younger shoulders. You would have the opportunity to make every decision again, or try other avenues.

Would you do it all again just the same? Would you be more adventurous? More conservative? Would you be tempted, like Marty McFly to get heavily into gambling by taking back a sports history book or something? Have you been harbouring a resentment for many years about an advantage that someone might have had over you in some particular thing. Could you, would you, even the playing field?

Would you try to prevent tragedies? Would you stand waiting at the Dakota Building and tackle Mark Chapman at the last moment as he drew his gun on John Lennon? Travel to Chernobyl and try to convince them there that things were'nt working so well and maybe a shut down might be a good idea? Given the opportunity, would you enter into politics? Maybe pass off a famous musicians hit song as your own? Would you just improve your life a little? Save more money? Travel more?  

Or would you just try harder at the things you now know might have been a good idea to concentrate on? Got better grades at school, maybe have gone to University if you had not the opportunity back in the day?

Could you take the chance? Would you? Would you use your power for good or evil? A scruple indeed.

Rocco's Random Number is 674 which takes you to It's a Joy!. Lot's of crafty stuff there and an excellent banana muffin recipe. I value good muffins almost as much as I value breathing. I really like breathing. A lot.

Rock on,

W.


6 comments:

  1. If not for my children, the answer would be a no-brainer that yes, I'd go back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a question that wopuld take alot of thought.I have always said I would stay on at school and study to become a teacher but how might that have changed my life?would I have met someone other than my husband? Would I then have married him? Then my children wouldn't be here.oh I don't know.

    Is Anyone There

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great post, that really makes one think...

    Thanks for visiting my blog, and for linking to me today!

    Cheers,
    Joy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Odd you should mention John Lennon, sort of, because lately I heard tell that in reality he wasn't as nice a guy as we'd like to think - quite the animal apparently.

    The 'what if' question will haunt each and every one of use to our last dying breath, I know I have several of those moments I would take back, but then, life is full of pathways, and if you didn't take the current path you're on, imagine what you wouldn't have/know/be with, etc.

    As an example, take one person from your life, and rewind to the point of when you met them, then consider all the events, experiences, people and places you have had, knew/know and been to as a result of meeting that one person.

    It gets kind of creepy/freaky after a point. It's one of those things that will give you a headache if you think about it too much - similar to he time travel scenario.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know what you mean Mark. It's been something I have been thinking about a lot lately and as a result I'm thinking about doing some writing with it in mind.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think this is a hard one. There are a lot of things that I would like to go back and change, but would I still end up where I am today? My life could have turned out very differently and I quite like it the way it is.
    As for preventing tragedies - I would try, but I don't think anybody would listen. I'd probably seem like a crazy person!

    ReplyDelete

Wotcher. Comments are welcome and make Wayne happy. Please post some. Spammers on the other hand, I hunt down, kill and eat.

Five Sentence Fiction - Bubbles

Here we are again with Five Sentence Fiction from Lillie McFerrin. The word du jour is Bubbles...